I hope this finds you well, healthy and happy. I hope that the COVID cases where you live are decreasing. I wish I could say the same for Oregon. Sadly, cases are on the rise, more work for the brave people on the front lines, more people suffering from the virus and the restrictions on businesses are going in reverse. It seems counterintuitive with the number of people being vaccinated climbing. Please stay cautious and safe!
I am heading to Oregon on Monday for most of May and am looking forward to seeing the team and our guests. Saturday, May 8th will be a great Beyond Brooks with Elizabeth Falkner. That night will be a big celebration as Chef Norma and our Cellar Master Darrick are tying the knot! I cannot remember the last wedding I went to and this will be the first big social event for team Brooks outside of the winery. It should be great fun!
A FEW GEMS FOR MOTHER’S DAY
Here are two awesome gifts for Mom this Mother’s Day, May 9th:
2016 Sparkling Riesling was featured on Forbes.com this week and here is what writer, Elizabeth Brownfield, had to say:
“Attention: fans of dry, sparkling wines: this crisp beauty from Brooks in Amity, Oregon is something special. Bright, citrusy, and bone-dry, it spends 44 months en tirage to develop its delicate aromas of quince and kumquat, and a sweet-tart palate of lemon curd, clementine, and sea salt.
Impressively, Brooks is the only winery in the world that can boast the conscientious trifecta of being a Certified B Corporation, a 1% For the Planet member, and Demeter Biodynamic certified.”
2018 Ara Riesling was rated 94 points by both Wine Enthusiast Magazine and Wine and Spirits Magazine–the HIGHEST score for any domestic Riesling this year. Here is what wine critic, Patrick Comiskey, had to say:
Our panelists found this wine scintillating. Clean, tangy, tingly and “it squeaks” were just a few of the excited descriptors they used, but none of them capture the depth of flavor, the phenolic grip, the pop and tingle of the acidity or its penetrating line. It’s got the power to age, though the lemon-peel and green-apple flavors would work well now with tuna crudo.
Either one will make Mom happy on her special day this year or double down and get her both!
Wine Club Discounts On Wine and Shipping Apply!
Please note: Both of these wines contribute to the Grower Relief Fund.
Ground Shipping for West Coast is no problem. If you are on the East Coast you will want to upgrade to a faster shipping method.
JOIN IN ON THE FINALE FOR THE FIRST BEYOND BROOKS SEASON!
It is hard to believe we are nearing the end of Beyond Brooks Season 1! And yes, don’t fret, there will be a Season 2! But for now, let’s bid the proper farewell to the monthly Saturday afternoon event that so many of you have enjoyed! I have been so humbled by the success!
Our Beyond Brooks partner for June is Jordan MacKay, a James Beard Award-winning food and wine writer! Jordan is a friend of mine and is one of the most respected wine authors in the industry. His most recent book was The Sommelier’s Atlas of Wine that he co-wrote with Rajat Parr, one of the most esteemed sommeliers in the world.
It will be June, time to clean off the grill and join us to learn all the best tips about grilling steak. Jordan and Chef Norma are creating a special meat rub just for this event! And the wines, the two reserves–Rastaban and Ara–both are the perfect weight to match up with meat and plenty of acid to cut through the richness.
This Virtual Event bundle includes:
- 1 bottle of 2018 Brooks Ara Riesling
- 1 bottle of 2017 Brooks Rastaban Pinot Noir
- Franklin Steak Cookbook
- Jordan’s and Norma’s spice rub, custom-made for Beyond Brooks
- Cooking demo on how to grill a steak to perfection and webinar with Jordan Mackay, Janie Heuck, Managing Director of Brooks and Master of Wine, Bree Stock on Saturday, June 12th at 1 PM PST/4 PM EST
Plus, although it is a week before, this would make a GREAT Father’s Day Gift!
WHY VIRTUAL TASTINGS?
This week I had three Virtual Tastings. All were extremely fun! The two pictured here were both Friday afternoon. A team of First Republic Bank professionals decided to have a virtual tasting instead of yet another virtual work meeting. We enjoyed an hour talking about the Willamette Valley and wines from the Estate. A great way to end their workweek. I see more of these in their future! The other was with friends from our Brooks-hosted cruise to Portugal in 2019. They brought 4 wine-loving friends who didn’t know Brooks. We curated 2 pinot noirs and 2 dry Rieslings to enjoy. We tasted the wines, tasted the wines side by side, explored the vineyards and everyone learned so much and had a great time. They carried on in Florida to enjoy dinner with the wines after the virtual event.
Why do a virtual tasting?
- Bring together family and friends in person or virtually to connect over wine.
- Spice up your team building but change the agenda from work to wine!
- Work with our team to select wines for something you want to explore-styles of Riesling, the personalities of Pinot Noir.
- Learn the basics of wine tasting and some Oregon wine trivia.
- Experience the magic of food and wine pairings.
- Celebrate a birthday, bridal shower or other occasions with friends and family who cannot get together in person.
- THEY ARE FUN!!
How does it work?
- Fill out the form in the link below.
- Either myself or April, our Director of Business Development, will reach out and put together the perfect event for you.
- You pick how many and which wines. We are happy to give input.
- We ship the wine to all households and we can ship to 44 states.
- We customize the content to your objectives.
- The day of, you open your bottles, pour your glasses and we do all the work!
- We bring our tasting room to your living room!
I hope to see many of you while I am in Oregon or on one of our Virtual Events!
As always: [email protected] or 831-238-4828